The media is focused too much on celebrity claiming the Beats acquisition was for the talents of Dr Dre and their streaming music service. But I think it’s really because of something ridiculously simple that snowballs in concept.
1) Apple wants thinner devices.
2) one of the main items holding that back is the headphone jack. It means 2 holes in 1 device
3) Apple’s Lightning port supports power, data and is slimmer
4) Apple has announced that smart headphones (with controls etc) can now connect to the Lightning port
5) Apple once ditched the floppy disc drive and it took years for others to follow. But now as market leader they can’t afford to wait years if they drop the universally accepted headphone jack in favour of their lightning port. They need to keep pumping out successful hits, year after year
6) the Lightning port is much dearer than a standard jack to incorporate. So what Apple needs is to get a company that can afford to absorb it in their cost
7) enter Beats. A market leader in over priced headphones that can easily absorb the extra cost and with the ‘hip’ factor be able to get other companies to jump on the band wagon and copy their lead.
8) the purchase of Beats was made now so that when the jack free iPhones & iPads come onto the market, people will already have an availability of product options.
Let’s see if my prediction is right. I have a habit of being able to see through marketing.
Ps the less holes in a phone, the better